Sunday, August 3, 2014

My experience at the Mrs. International Pageant!



I am a firm believer in destiny and my destiny was to be the BEST Mrs. California International that I could be at the national pageant.  Not only did I walk away with so many new friends, but I walked away with a deeper love and appreciation of my husband, Renier, and an opportunity to share my passion of the Alzheimer’s Association in honor of my Grandma Jean.  

I’m going to share so many pictures in this post and upcoming posts, as I just couldn’t put the camera down!  So many things to see, so many people to meet!

Day 1:
I arrived on Monday night, which was the evening before all the pageant festivities began.  I got to see my beloved pageant director, Eddie Peterson, which made me feel right at home.  He also had some pageant goodies for me and I felt like a true queen right off the bat!  That evening, I was able to relax, have dinner with Mrs. Australia International, Kate Johnson, and get used to the new time zone (which is oddly enough…VERY IMPORTANT!).   The rooms at the Omni Jacksonville are great and the beds were so comfortable!  Again…oddly enough…VERY IMPORTANT!

Finally in Jacksonville and the southern hospitality was everywhere!
Late night pow-wow with Eddie!
Day 2:
Tuesday morning, I was able to sleep in until 9:00 a.m. (HOORAY!) and then go for a run along the Jacksonville River Walk.  Running is my “happy time,” so it put me at ease being able to have some great running time before everything began.  The River Walk area reminded me so much of the Long Beach harbor area, and I kept taking pictures along the route.  Thank you to the guest service folks at the Omni Jacksonville for giving me a great running route!  After a quick shower and some “gussying up,” I met with Heidi Scheer, Mrs. Great Lakes International, for lunch and some catching up.  Heidi and I met in 2011 and I immediately fell in love with her!  She’s kind, giving, extremely funny, and an all-around great gal!

Before the pageant orientation began, I got ready with Kara Knudsen, my hair and makeup artist for the week, and she made me feel like Carrie Underwood!  I felt so beautiful all week, and loved to collaborate with Kara on what “look” I wanted to accomplish each day. 

During orientation, I had a front-row seat next to Sherri Stewart, Mrs. Oklahoma International.  She is hilarious, ladies and gentlemen!  She kept me laughing all week long, and I’m so glad we got the chance to meet each other on the very first day.  I also met my roommate, Lorraine Charles, Mrs. Haiti International, who is a doctor, ya’ll!  How awesome is that?  So, not only is she beautiful, she is so smart! Loved spending the week with her!
Lorraine Charles, Mrs. Haiti International, and me in our hotel room!

The wonderful Kara Knudsen and me!  Feeling so beautiful because of her!

Eddie Peterson and me and orientation!

With the famous "pageant banner" pointing to my headshot

Each contestant had a chance to introduce themselves to our fellow contestants, as well as pageant staff.  We all answered different questions so we could get a glimpse into each person’s personality.  Loved this part of the evening!  

Jessica Russo, Mrs. Kentucky International, and me at pageant orientation.  Love this gal!

The beautiful Amy Gregorio, Mrs. International 2013, and me.
We also met the stunning Mary Richardson, director of Mrs. International, as well got to hear from each of the wonderful pageant staff members.  I felt just so lucky to be a part of this family right from the start! 

Day 3:
Here was our day out and about in Jacksonville!   A special thanks goes out to Visit Jacksonville, who was the brains behind this awesome operation!  I fell in love with Taylor Terry, who was our official Jacksonville "tour guide."  We boarded a bus early in the morning and went straight to St. Augustine for a trolley ride through the coastal city.  There is so much history in this area, and I highly recommend the trolley tour!  We passed the first Ripley’s Believe it or Not, as well as North America’s largest free-standing cross (which measures 208 feet tall!).  The architecture was phenomenal and we all loved hearing the stories that the trolley driver told us about this historic city!

Before our day out in Jacksonville...the stunning Chelsea Cooley Altman, Miss USA 2005!

Trying to recreate the Oscars selfie!

I am Mrs. Nevada International's biggest fan!!!

The stunning Deanna Linz and me on the trolley tour!

VERY, VERY EXCITED!!

Next, we went to the Fountain of Youth and got to drink from it!  I was bummed that I didn’t immediately turn into a 22-year-old (ha!) again, but maybe it takes a little while to work?  I'm still waiting... 

The Fountain of Youth!

The entire day, I was able to get to know Brooke Westlake-Kelley, Mrs. Nevada International.  She and I sat together on the bus and had a great time getting to know each other!  She is also very passionate about Alzheimer’s disease because of her grandma, so we had a lot in common!  I loved learning more about her life in Reno and her darling little boy, Grant! I can tell she will be a forever friend!

After our St. Augustine trip, we got to shop at an outlet mall (one of my favorite things to do!) and I lusted after a few Kate Spade purses (but I didn’t buy any, Renier…promise!).

Then, we got to do probably one of the most exciting things that any of us has done…we got to go behind-the-scenes at Jacksonville Jaguar stadium!  From the locker rooms, to walking on the football field and meeting the General Manager, David Caldwell, it was SO COOL!  I was taking so many pictures so I could prove to Renier that I was actually there!  My favorite part of the experience was getting to listen to Dave Caldwell explain his goal of creating men of substance, rather than just good football players, for the Jaguars.  Each week, they have speakers come and talk to the entire team, such as life coaches, financial planners, motivational speakers, etc.

I'm in the locker room and yes, there's a ping pong table!

On the field!

Beautiful Amy Gregorio, Mrs. International 2013

Jessica and me getting some field time!

The gorgeous and so kind Mrs. Oklahoma International!

Once we got back after our full day out in Jacksonville and St. Augustine, we had a delicious dinner, then went straight into rehearsals to start learning our opening number.  The entire production team was extremely professional and so prepared!  They made our rehearsals fun, but also efficient, which is something that our tired feet appreciated!


Roommate love!

Not only is she stunning, she's just as lovely inside too!

The pictures never end!

Day 4:
This was interview day, as well as the International Gala and Silent Auction, benefiting the Go Red for Women Jacksonville chapter.  As per usual, the day began in Kara’s makeup chair as she got me ready to meet the judges in the interview room.  My interview was at 9:10 a.m. and I am a morning person, so this worked out great for me!  I loved starting my day with this portion of the competition, and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting each of the judges one on one.  We spoke about the Alzheimer’s Association, my hobby of running 10K and 5K races in costume, playing ping pong with Renier, my job as a regional marketing director with Integral Senior Living, my three cocker spaniels, as well as why I want to be Mrs. International 2014. 

Before interview - Oregon, New Jersey, me, Great Britain and Minnesota

Eddie Peterson, my beloved director, and me right before I entered the interview room!
The minute I stepped into the interview room, my nerves subsided.  I felt confident and ready to meet five new folks and share my personality and thoughts with them.  Those 25 minutes flew right by, and I exited that room feeling like I was myself the entire time.  So…if they were looking for Christy, I was right there!  If they weren’t looking for me, that’s okay, but I was proud to represent myself and be myself the whole time.  

After the interview competition, we had a bit of time off, then went to rehearsals that afternoon.  We practiced blocking the fitness wear and evening gown competitions, and we did sneak a little social time too!  

Afternoon rehearsal with Lauren, who is just beautiful inside and out!
 That evening, we went to the International Gala and Silent Auction in gorgeous gowns, and had another chance to briefly meet the judges as they entered the gala.  I can only imagine what a very full day they've had!  Interviews for hours in the morning and now a red carpet event!  Whew!  

Me and the fabulous Eddie Peterson!

How stunning are these ladies?

Pacific Coast Pride with Taryn, Mrs. Oregon International!

Taylor from Visit Jacksonville - love this lady!

I love Sherri, Mrs. Oklahoma International!

Amber, thank you for your service to our country! Blessed to get to know you!


Contestants lining up to greet the guests of the gala!

We also took our official group photo with the view of the Jacksonville harbor in the background.  It turned out so beautiful!  Thanks to Paula Preston, the official pageant photographer, for taking this amazing picture!  She and Laura made us feel so special the entire week - loved working with her.

After the official group photo, we enjoyed a special dinner with all the contestants and guest speaker, Eddie Peterson, and I don't think there was a dry eye in the house!  He has such a message of inspiration, and I was so proud to call him my friend and director. 

Contestants resting their feeties!

Lauren and me at the contestant dinner

Eddie, the inspirational master!


Day 5:
On Friday, the preliminary competition was finally here!  My husband, Renier, got to the hotel late the previous evening, so it was so wonderful to have him here. My parents also came in, so it was nice to have family support.  We had rehearsals the entire day, then get to have a break to get "all dolled up" for our competition that evening.  Once again, Kara waved her magic wand and I turned into a beauty queen!  I loved being on that International stage in fitness wear and evening gown, and I hope it showed!  

After the preliminary competition, my family and I went to the hotel restaurant and socialized late into the evening.  This was one of my most special moments, as family is everything to me, and it was great to be surrounded by my most prized supporters. 

Heading to preliminary competition rehearsals with Heidi, Mrs. Great Lakes International!

Love these giant headshot signs!  Ha ha!

Can you tell I'm happy?!?!?

The gorgeous Mrs. Minnesota International, Kim Stommes!

I love Dani!

Shana Smith, Mrs. California International 2013, and me.  Thank you for your unending support, Shana!

Love my director!

My parents are my biggest supporters - love you both!

A successful preliminary competition for sure!

Happy to see Chelsea Cooley Altman again and get some great advice!


Day 6:
It's Finals Day!  After the week of pageant events, and months of preparation, it was finally here!  The entire day was a blur of rehearsals, last photos with my gals, and then once again, time to get all made up for the final competition.  I've never felt so beautiful as I have this week, and it was all thanks to Kara Knudsen.  Once again, a huge shout out to her magic touch!  

Preparing for the final competition - thank you Kara!
 I was so blessed to be a part of the Top 15 at the Mrs. International 2014 pageant.  Although I didn't come home with the crown, I loved every single second of my Mrs. International pageant experience.   The new Mrs. International 2014 is Maggi Thorne, Mrs. Great Plains International, and I want to wish her the very best as she represents Soles 4 Souls. CONGRATS, MAGGI!

Top 15 on-stage interview outfit - thank you, Tiffany Tollet, for this beautiful dress!


Taylor Terry from Visit Jacksonville and me at the coronation ball.

Love Mrs. Nigeria International's sweet soul!

Me and Brooke, Mrs. Nevada International, at the coronation ball

Can you tell we love each other?!?
 Thank you to each and every person who reached out to me this week with good luck wishes and prayers for a successful competition.   For me, being a part of the 2014 class was such a blessing, and to me, that is success.  Now, it's onto crowning the next Mrs. California International in September!  Who's it going to be?!?

Congrats to Mrs. International 2014, Maggi Thorne!


No comments:

Post a Comment