Friday, April 4, 2014

Why I Walk to End Alzheimer's


There are so many reasons why I have walked in 15 Walk to End Alzheimer's in the past five years and I'd like to share them with you now.

I WALK for my beloved Grandma Jean Sayer, who lost her battle with Alzheimer's disease nearly two years ago.

Grandma Jean and me on her 90th birthday in 2012

I WALK for my husband's dear Aunt Heila, who lost her battle less than six months ago.

Hy husband, Renier, and me at the Coachella Valley Walk to End Alzheimer's in March 2014

I WALK for my future children, so that Alzheimer's disease is only a small part in their history books, not in their medical charts.

I WALK for the residents of Mission Hills at Rancho Mirage, who show me daily that even the smallest and briefest moments of happiness can make the biggest impact.

With some terrific Mission Hills residents

I WALK for the thousands of families I have met through five years of working in the senior living industry, who are in desperate need of guidance, love and support.

Let's Walk to End Alzheimer's!!
I WALK for the terrific staff members and volunteers of the Alzheimer's Association, who work tirelessly to get Alzheimer's disease and related dementia in the public spotlight, so that we can increase awareness, support and much needed funds.

Anne Gimbel, regional director of the Alzheimer's Association, me, and Lee Miller, committee member and Walk Team chairperson at the Palm Springs VillageFest.

And finally, I WALK FOR ALL, so that in 2050, when the researchers say our worldwide count for Alzheimer's disease will be past 115 million people, we will have said that we have successfully stopped this epidemic.

JOIN ME TODAY!  Visit www.alz.org for much more information about the Alzheimer's Association and the Walk to End Alzheimer's.

With hugs,
Christy Van Der Westhuizen
Mrs. California International 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment